Did you know that motorcyclists suffer from more serious injuries and traumas than any other type of accident? As you might suspect, it is due to the lack of protection surrounding the biker and the momentum that occurs upon impact.
In a vehicle, you have the steering wheel, airbags,seatbelt, windows and doors that stop you from moving forward. In a motorcycle or bike accident, this is not the case. When you hit a fixed object, often resulting from the driver of the vehicle failing to yield and turn left as the motorcyclist is driving forward. This impact, sends the unprotected motorcyclists flying forward and often hitting the hood of the vehicle.
The most common type of injuries resulting from a motorcycle or bike accident are broken bones, concussion, head trauma, soft tissue damage, neck, back or low back injury and even damage to your extremities. More serious injuries can occur leaving you the victim with high cost medical bills, hospital stays and long term rehabilitation that can ruin you and your families life.
Don’t take any chances on the severity of your injuries. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, there are several immediate and important steps you should take.
- No sudden movements. Be very careful about how quickly you get up and move around. Serious trauma may have occurred.
- When you are up, have you or someone with you take pictures of the scene of the accident and any injuries that you or anyone with you obtained.
- Call the police
- Stay at the scene even if you think you are fine. You need the police report, it is a necessary legal document to protect you in getting the help and proper support you need if you have been in an accident.
- Collect the other party’s information.
- Start a claim with the insurance company, even if you don’t think you are hurt.
- Find an attorney that specializes in injury care so you can be properly represented.
- Seek immediate medical attention. This is key because some injuries, such as whiplash, can take several days or longer to result in symptoms. Don’t guess with your health, get the immediate care even if your symptoms are not fully present.. When you seek proper injury medical attention, this early assessment will help to spot signs of trouble so you can be proactive and reduce your risk of long-term complications.
At Injury Doc, we understand that a motorcycle accident can impact every area of your life from your ability to work and family to your financial well-being. This is why it is important to not only seek the medical care you need but it is also important to obtain independent legal counsel after your workplace injury has occurred.
The proper documented medical care paired with legal advice will ensure that you get the care you deserve and your questions answered so you can protect yourself and your family’s financial security while getting back your health.
The team at Injury Doc is here to help you get paired with the injury team you need, contact us today to get started.